Monday, April 9, 2007

Welcome, Theme Parks, Where Would You Marry?

Well, I guess it was inevitable to add blogging to review writing. So welcome to my initial post on ATW-blog. To be quite honest, I'm not sure what I'm going to be posting here – I imagine that it will become an informal extension of all of my work – reviewing, culling through theater articles from around the country, and also the things that don't always end up on the site – information about what's happening at XM and some of the theater-related books and CDs that pass through my world.

The impetus for starting this week is not so much a lack of anything to write for the site, but rather a pair of articles that appeared in papers on Sunday (April 8). In The Observer, there was an article about a new theme park opening in England – one based on the works of Charles Dickens. Across the pond, The Orlando Sentinel heralded that Disneyland had announced that it would allow same-sex couples to have domestic partnership ceremonies performed in front of Cinderella's castle.

In my addled brain, the two fused together and I began thinking about what sort of theme park I'd want to proclaim my commitment to and love for another man. Somehow, Disney just doesn’t' seem right. Yeah, I grew up with all of those princesses and Prince Charmings, but I don't necessarily feel that they represent me (or for that matter any man that I might find myself spending the rest of my life with – although I'll be happy to be proven wrong.) That being said, I started thinking about folks considering the new U.K. theme park. That made me snicker. I particularly chuckled about the idea of a Miss Haversham-themed wedding chapel.

Okay, so if not either of these, then, what sort of theme park would I consider? Well, one where the attractions come from Shakespeare's works seems actually more sound than one based on Dickens' world. Imagine the 'Midsummer Night's Dream' Fairy ride or the horrific landscape that could be concocted from Richard III and Titus Andronicus alone. Given the amount of cross-dressing involved in the plays, certainly same-sex unions would be a perfect fit. Just imagine – you could duck into Friar Laurence's cell for a quick ceremony – and depending on your parents' generation – even have the feeling that you were being as illicit as Romeo and Juliet.

Equally amusing – at least to me – is the idea of getting married in Sondheim World. After a quick ride on one of the 'Four Black Dragons' – found, of course, in Admiral Perry's Japanese World, you could take a ride on the Company-marriage coaster before deciding whether to proclaim "Marry Me a Little" or "I'm Not Getting Married Today." And imagine the fun to be had at the reception at the Mrs. Lovett-inspired food court. Again, one suspects that the idea of ceremonies for same-sex couples would not be a problem for the operators of such a park – the only problem might be the fact that anyone was willing to concede they anticipated a "happily ever after."

So, with that I leave these ramblings open for question, comment, ridicule. Let me know what sort of art-infused theme park crosses your mind.

Until later in the week,

Andy Propst

------------------------------------

For those who want the direct URLs to the stories mentioned:

Disney Opens Wedding Chapel to Gay Marriages - Orlando Sentinel
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-biznews-disney040607,0,172563.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

Rich Pickings With Dickens - The Observer
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,2052227,00.html

2 comments:

Elizabeth Maupin said...

I like the notion of Sondheim World. Can Orlando make a bid for it?

C A Bandy said...

What about Jerry Herman Town? The happy couple could descend Mame's grand staircase and the reception would be held at La Cage aux Folles.