Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Jumping Back in With New CD Thoughts

Oops. Where did April go? Was it the flurry of shows rushing to open in time for Drama Desk nominations? Could it have been stuff on the home front kept me away? In whatever event, sorry for the silence.

As had been my wont, I want to try to resurrect this as the space where I talk about musicals – and things related to them, CDs, new books, etc. etc. And so, to jump back in, I want to quickly talk about the onrush of CDs this spring. Already, I have a whole bunch that I want to write about, including DRG Records' spiffy release (teasingly called Best of Broadway Vol. 1) of studio cast recordings of Kiss Me, Kate and South Pacific the original cast recording of the Bill Finn revue, Make Me a Song (from Ghostlight Records, and the new disc from Maureen McGovern that's on PS Classics.

Of course, all the new Broadway shows have cast recordings that are barreling down the pike, and there are a host of other solo recordings, including an intriguing song cycle from Jeremy Schonfeld called 37 Notebooks. The sort of cool thing with "Notebooks" is that the disc features a host of Broadway performers singing Schonfeld's songs, including Shoshanna Bean (Wicked), Jarrod Emick (Damn Yankees), Lauren Kennedy (Spamalot), Adam Pascal (Rent) and Kate Shindle (Legally Blonde).

The folks repping "Notebooks" sent me a few MP3's and I gotta say I'm quite taken with their sound, which references pop, gospel, folk, country-western and Broadway traditions. I can't wait to hear the complete recording. This one's scheduled to be released May 6. There's a pre-release party planned for Birdland on May 5 which will benefit the Broadway Dreams Foundation, and a host of the performers on the disc are scheduled to appear.

So, in any event, will be a better blogger in the next few days.

Andy

Quicklinks:

DRG Records: www.drgrecords.com
Ghostlight Records: www.ghostlightrecords.com
PS Classics: www.psclassics.com
Jeremy Schonfeld: www.jeremyschonfeld.com
Birdland: www.birdlandjazz.com
Broadway Dreams Foundation: www.mybroadwaydreams.com

No comments: