Friday, May 11, 2007

An update from Andy / Reviews of recent openings

So what's become of Andy you might ask? The blog hasn't been updated in over a week and the reviews on AmericanTheaterWeb have been slight. All that I've written for the site itself is the review of Cymbeline that's playing at BAM through Saturday (Full Review). Despite what you might have read elsewhere, this is a truly effective and affecting production. If you've got time tonight or tomorrow, take the trip out to Fulton Street.

Meanwhile, an outline of some of my theatergoing and the reviews that have been appearing elsewhere: I quite enjoyed Memory at >59E59 (expect a full review in "The Voice" next week). This week, you'll find my thoughts on Harold Prince's excellent work on LoveMusik in the paper (Full Review).

Elsewhere, my review of Rachel Dickstein's Betrothed at the Ohio Theater has been posted this morning on backstage.com (Full Review). Also, while you're looking at that site, take a look at my review of Jenny Schwartz' God's Ear, this is one of the most exciting pieces of theater I've caught in a long time (Full Review). You should check it out. Finally, expect a review of An Octopus Love Story next week in Time Out. This quirky love story that's also a shrewd bit of commentary on what makes a marriage took me by surprise. It's funny and touching and well worth a look. (For quick reference - here's their website: http://www.kidswithguns.com/.

And with that, we're truly off and running in the 2007-2008 season.

Until next time,

Andy

No comments: